At last I’ve got my act together! I know how old this news is at this point but I can’t analyse enough the split results…imagining what could have been! This is the big one, and you can see how major the differences are between how us fans and the jury members saw things.
|14||Belgium||76||Bosnia and Herzegovina||65|
|16||Bosnia and Herzegovina||35||Ireland||62|
|25||United Kingdom||7||United Kingdom||18|
RED = the actual top ten
- TELEVOTING: Gold/silver/bronze – Germany/Turkey/Denmark
- JURY: Gold/silver/bronze – Germany/Belgium/Romania
- Unsurprisingly, the UK languished in last place on both counts.
- France and Serbia were thought worthy of the top ten by viewers, but not by juries, who believed that Israel’s song deserved a top 5 position.
- Germany’s win was unanimous – despite the jury’s tendency to pick more old-fashioned ballads. It certainly is a cracker!
I’d love to know which top ten you would have preferred – the voters or the jury’s. Personally, I’d give it to the voters (just don’t tell anyone that this is mainly because Serbia would have made it). But in the end I think this was too good a year for me to have to pick a top ten! 35 or so great songs makes for difficult pickings.
I’ve just one more Oslo-oriented post to post before I can crack on with 2011, but it won’t be the last you see of one of the best (music-wise) Eurovisions ever. The Norwegians may not have created the unbeatable spectacle of Moscow (perhaps because it was unbeatable) but they sure did a commendable job. I have a feeling the long-Eurovision-suffering Germans are going to bring it next year and show Europe what they’ve been missing all this time…..