Some of you may have been expecting my top 10 ESC entries to be revealed in this post. I’m sorry to say that I couldn’t bring myself to end the suspense just yet, so I came up with something else – but as you can tell by the big words up there ↑ (a.k.a. The Title) it’s something entertaining…I hope.
The last time I posted a quiz, I was told it was too easy, and ever since I’ve had this terrible urge to do another one so difficult, it makes the chances of the United Kingdom winning Eurovision in 2013 look positively off the charts in comparison. Unfortunately, I don’t think this quiz, a multi-level/multi-task lyrical extravaganza, is that hard. But I am 57.5% confident in saying that, without having a peek at the answers, you’re unlikely to get a perfect score. MWAHAHAHAHA!
Ahem. Anyway, on with the quiz. It’s pretty self-explanatory – there’s a bunch of questions all relating to the lyrics of past Eurovision songs (to make it slightly easier, all of them are from the year 2000 onwards) which you, my friends, can test your knowledge with. You’ll find the answers at the bottom of the post.
Now go forth and conquer…the EBJ Lyrics Quiz.
FYI, all lyrics have been verified at http://4lyrics.eu/ (how very official!)
Guess the song – Level 1
1. Like me like I like you…
2. Is he magical? Logical? Natural? I wonder.
3. You were the eyes in the face of fortune.
4. Never leave me and believe me, you will be the sun into my raining season.
5. Answer my question, say something. Why are you acting out?
6. I’m in orbit all the way around you.
7. Don’t look back, hold on to your spirit. Keep moving every minute.
8. I can make Beyonce and Shakira dance for you.
Guess the song – Level 2
1. I’m gonna start my weekend with gin, tonic and lime.
2. If we get together now we’ll burn this place down.
3. …devotion’s finding a way when highness exists for those people who pray.
4. You can feel me in your mind with every breath you take. Burn the earth with flame of sins, I’ll make you feel dismay.
5. If I never made a single mistake, oh, I wouldn’t be here, part of the plan I believe.
6. Love, love’s not enough. I need your trust, but you don’t try anymore.
7. I feel so intoxicated I’m struggling to keep my feet on the ground.
8. Waves of eternity, waves of serenity.
Guess the song – Level 3
1. I know I’m gonna find you somewhere in the clouds of my confusion.
2. I go through the motions, stumbling my way, life is a blur.
3. It’s a two-way street.
4. No matter where I am, I’m always thinking of you.
5. Everything you share with me turns a little darkness into light.
6. Beat the odds.
7. All we’ve done is to pass back to frame number one.
8. You’re the one who’s never satisfied, after all…
Fill in the blanks
1. ____ is a story and you’ve got to tell it
2. And we’re like ___________ flying to the ___
3. _____ ____, I’m gonna strike like _______
4. Don’t play that ____ again, reminding me of how it used to be
5. We are ______ on the planet, we live _____ lives
6. If my ____ would fall, or disappear at all
7. I would ___ for you, look into my ____ and see it’s true
8. Out of the _____ like a star, like a ____
9. We’ve got to hold on to our ____ tonight
10. Heavy clouds, no ____ and every move causes ____
Random Qs & As
1. How many la’s are sung in Cyprus’ 2012 entry – 100, 134 or 156?
2. How old is Ines according to the chorus of her 2000 entry, Once In A Lifetime?
3. Who knows ‘what for, are we living’?
4. In Athens, Tina Karol wanted to see it, André didn’t know what to do without it, and Brian Kennedy thought every song was a cry for it. What was ‘it’?
5. Which former Irish boyband member co-wrote the music and lyrics of Ireland’s entry for the 2004 contest?
6. And which former Irish boyband member co-wrote the music and lyrics of Denmark’s entry for the 2009 contest?
7. In Helsinki, Belarus’ Koldun had the key to what, if the lyrics to Work Your Magic were anything to go by?
8. As long as he’s doing something in particular, there are no limits to what Dima Bilan can dream. What is that something?
9. The lyrics of how many entries of 2012 referenced Eurovision itself – 1, 2 or 3?
10. What is Sahlene (Estonia 2002) always doing that could earn her a hefty fine…if it weren’t just lyrically and metaphorically?
How did you go? Did anyone end up tearing their hair out with frustration? Let me know down below. I’d also love to know if you enjoyed the quiz and would possibly want me to make up more in the future. Beware, they would get harder as they went along. By 2060 I may actually achieve my dream of coming up with questions nobody can answer, a bit like my math teachers used to for school exams. Or so I thought.
NEXT TIME: I swear on Dana International’s feathered Gaultier that the next post will count down my top 10 ESC entries of all time.
GUESS THE SONG L1: 1. Love Me Back, Can Bonomo 2. 7th Wonder, Ira Losco 3. I Can, Blue 4. My Number One, Helena Paparizou 5. Drip Drop, Safura 6. Satellite, Lena 7. Once In A Lifetime, Ines 8. Ninanajna, Elena Risteska
GUESS THE SONG L2: 1. The Balkan Girls, Elena 2. Playing With Fire, Paula Seling & Ovi 3. Fight by Natalia Barbu 4. Day After Day, Elnur & Samir 5. This Is My Life, Euroband 6. Cry Baby, Jemini 7. Even If, Andy Abraham 8. Stand By, Senit
GUESS THE SONG L3: 1. Angel, Two Tricky 2. The Image of You, Anjeza Shahini 3. Would You, Iris 4. Stronger Every Minute, Lisa Andreas 5. Open Your Heart, Birgitta 6. This Is Our Night, Sakis Rouvas 7. Every Way That I Can, Sertab Erener 8. No One, Maja Keuc
FILL IN THE BLANKS: 1. Life 2. Butterflies/sun 3. Shady/lady/thunder 4. Song 5. People/human 6. Star 7. Die/eyes 8. Light/hero 9. Love 10. Rain/pain
RANDOM Qs & As: 1. 134 2. Seventeen 3. (only) Mr. God 4. Love 5. Brian McFadden of Westlife 6. Ronan Keating of Boyzone 7. Your tower 8. Breathing 9. 2 (Latvia and Montenegro) 10. Driving through red lights